Serve these tasty, crunchy little bundles with a refreshing beer.
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 60 ml buttermilk (¼ cup)
- 2 eggs
- 80 gm plain flour
- 3 zucchini, coarsely grated
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup each coarsely chopped dill and mint
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons, plus lemon wedges to serve
- 200 gm Greek feta
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1For whipped feta, process feta, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor until very smooth. With motor running, add oil in a thin steady stream and process until emulsified, then season to taste and set aside.
- 2Preheat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large deep saucepan to 180C. Meanwhile, whisk buttermilk and eggs in a bowl to combine, then add flour and stir until smooth. Stir in zucchini, spring onion, herbs and lemon rind, season to taste. Deep-fry tablespoons of zucchini mixture in batches, turning occasionally, until golden (2-3 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit). Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on absorbent paper, season to taste and serve hot with whipped feta and lemon wedges.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm