The bottarga gives this beautiful raw salad a uniquely briny flavour, which is perfectly matched with grilled fish.
- 6 zucchini flowers, baby zucchini thinly sliced lengthways on a mandolin, flowers coarsely torn
- 12 asparagus spears, thinly sliced lengthways on a mandolin
- 2 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- Juice of 1½ lemons and finely grated rind of 1
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn
- 30 gm bottarga, finely grated (see note)
- 1Combine zucchini, asparagus and fennel in a bowl.
- 2Whisk lemon juice and rind, and oil in a small bowl to combine, season to taste and add to vegetables. Toss well to combine and set aside to marinate (10-15 minutes). Add fennel fronds and parsley and toss to combine. Season to taste, scatter bottarga over and serve.
Bottarga is cured, pressed and dried roe of mullet or tuna and is available from select fishmongers and delicatessens.