"This is one of my favourite desserts to make at home; it's my take on the classic Italian affogato, although with some Fijian flair," says Tikaram. "If you don't have an ice-cream machine, use shop-bought coconut sorbet from your local gelateria. A shot of any dark rum rounds it all out or you could leave it out, though if you ask my friends, it has to be Bounty."
- 160 ml espresso
- To serve: Bounty dark rum
- 180 gm caster sugar
- 250 gm liquid glucose
- 500 ml (2 cups) coconut cream
- 250 ml (1 cup) young coconut water (from about 1 young coconut)
- 1For the sorbet, bring caster sugar and 180ml water to the boil in a small saucepan. Adjust heat to low, simmer to reduce slightly (2-3 minutes), stir in glucose and set aside to cool completely (20-30 minutes). Add coconut cream, coconut water and a pinch of salt, whisk to combine, then chill and churn in ice-cream machine. Freeze until required. Makes about 1 litre.
- 2Scoop coconut sorbet into chilled glasses (you can do this an hour or so ahead of serving; store them in the freezer), pour espresso and rum shots directly over sorbet, and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: More rum. Drink suggestion by Louis Tikaram