"This almond milk jelly has a clean flavour that you can't really get unless you make it yourself," says Koludrovic. "It's a nice way to finish a dinner." Start this recipe one day ahead to soak the almonds. Serve in individual glasses or as a large dessert in a two-litre serving dish.
- 320 gm (2 cups) almond kernels
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 4 gold-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 3-5 minutes
Poached peach and granita
- Thinly peeled zest and juice of 1 orange
- 500 ml (2 cups) prosecco
- 110 gm (½ cup) caster sugar
- 3 peaches, halved, destoned
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 25 gm gluten-free plain flour
- 45 gm almond meal
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tbsp almond kernels, roasted, coarsely chopped
- 30 gm cold dairy-free butter, coarsely chopped
- 1Combine almonds with 750ml (3 cups) water in a large bowl and soak overnight.
- 2Meanwhile, for poached peach and granita, stir orange juice, prosecco, sugar and 300ml water in large saucepan over medium heat to dissolve sugar. Add peaches, bring to a simmer then cover directly with baking paper and simmer until just tender (6-8 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Peel peaches (discard skin), transfer to a bowl and refrigerate to chill. Stir lemon juice into poaching liquid, strain into a shallow dish or tray and freeze until firm (4 hours or overnight).
- 3The next day, drain almonds and rinse well. Blend in a high-speed blender with 750ml (3 cups) water until very smooth. Strain through a sieve lined with a wet dishcloth or nut bag, squeezing to extract all the liquid; you will need 680ml (see note). Combine almond milk, vanilla and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to milk mixture and mix well. Strain into a jug, then pour into 6 serving glasses and refrigerate to chill and set (4 hours or overnight).
- 4Meanwhile, for almond crumb, preheat oven to 170°C. Combine all ingredients, except butter, with 1 tsp salt in a bowl. Rub in butter to form rough crumbs. Spread over a baking tray and bake, stirring occasionally, until light golden (10-12 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 5Shave granita with a fork and return to freezer. Serve jellies topped with poached peaches, granita and almond crumb.
If you don't have enough liquid from the almonds, blend the squeezed almond paste again with some extra water. To make this recipe vegan, replace gelatine leaves with agar agar.