- 75 gm plain flour (½ cup)
- 60 gm almond meal (½ cup)
- 50 gm fine polenta, plus 1 tsp extra for dusting
- 35 gm coarse polenta
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 140 gm caster sugar, plus 1 tsp extra for dusting
- 125 gm softened butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- To serve: whipped cream
- To serve: roasted pears (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 170C. Sieve flour, almond meal, polentas and baking powder together in a bowl. Beat sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Add yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in flour mixture to just combine, then spoon into a buttered and floured 20cm-diameter cake tin. Smooth top, scatter over remaining sugar and polenta and bake until cake is golden and a skewer inserted withdraws clean (25-30 minutes). Cool cake slightly in tin (10 minutes), then turn out and cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- 2Serve cake with whipped cream and roasted pears. Cake is best served on day of making.
Note To roast pears, halve and core 3 pears, place in baking dish, drizzle with a little dessert wine, scatter with butter and caster sugar and roast, turning occasionally, in oven at 180C until tender (25-35 minutes). This recipe is from the May 2011 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.