“This was one of my favourite things to eat during my time in China. Just about every meal started with cucumber and sesame; the radish is my addition. I love to start with something raw. A quality sesame oil takes it somewhere else.”
- 20 baby cucumbers or 4 small Lebanese cucumbers
- 1 bunch French breakfast radishes or small red radishes
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1Halve baby cucumbers lengthways, or, if using Lebanese cucumbers, peel and quarter lengthways, remove seeds, then slice quarters in half lengthways and cut each length into 3cm batons. If radishes are small, cut in half; if larger, cut into bite-sized pieces. Season cucumber and radish with a pinch of sea salt and dry in a colander in the fridge (30 minutes).
- 2Rinse garlic in a bowl of cold water, drain.
- 3Stir soy, sugar and garlic in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate until cool (5 minutes).
- 4Rinse cucumber and radish under cold running water, drain well, add to garlic and soy mixture with sesame oil, season with a pinch of white pepper, toss to combine, refrigerate to marinate (30 minutes), then serve.
This recipe is from the April 2011 issue of .