"Fried rice with crab and eggwhite is one of those dishes I cook at home a lot. I love this sort of comfort food, especially when it's elevated with such a luxury as freshly picked crab meat."
- 200 gm short grain rice, rinsed (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced widthways
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 egg and 1 eggwhite lightly beaten together
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp finely chopped pickled mustard greens (see note)
- Pinch caster sugar
- 150 gm picked cooked spanner crab meat
- To serve: spring onions and dried chilli flakes
- 1Place rice in a saucepan, cover by 1cm with water, bring to the simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook until just tender (10-12 minutes). Remove from heat, cover with a tea towel and stand for 5 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, add spring onion and garlic and stir until aromatic and the garlic is just cooked (2 minutes). Add egg and eggwhite and swirl around pan as if making a crêpe. Scatter rice over egg and mix with a wooden spoon, breaking up egg. Add soy sauce, pickled mustard greens and sugar and stir continuously until rice is coated with soy sauce and egg (2-3 minutes). Add crab, remove from heat, fold crab through rice, then serve hot with spring onion and chilli to the side.
Pickled mustard greens are available from Asian grocers.
This recipe is from the April 2011 issue of