- 2 well-chilled skinless John Dory fillets
- 1 cup chrysanthemum leaves (see note) (loosely packed)
- 1 tsp pickled ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried sea lettuce flakes (see note)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 65 ml peanut oil
- 25 ml Healthy Boy soy sauce (see note)
- 25 ml ginger vinegar (see note)
- 1 tsp white balsamic
- 1For sea lettuce salt, combine ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2For ginger soy dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper and set aside. Makes 120ml.
- 3Slice John Dory fillets into 2mm-thick long strips and arrange on a chilled plate. Dress chrysanthemum leaves in a bowl with a few drops of ginger soy dressing, then scatter over and around fish with pickled ginger. Drizzle with 2 tsp ginger soy dressing (or to taste), season to taste with sea lettuce salt and serve. Remaining ginger soy dressing will keep refrigerated for 2 weeks.
Chrysanthemum leaves, also known as tong ho, and Healthy Boy soy sauce are available from select Asian grocers. Dried sea lettuce flakes are available online from Raw Guru and from select health-food shops. Ginger vinegar is available from Simon Johnson (see stockists).
This recipe is from the April 2011 issue of