“Cucumber is an ingredient I use frequently in my desserts. It’s juicy and refreshing, and has an unobtrusive flavour which lends itself well to refreshing desserts. Combined here with the ‘instant soup’, it makes for a quick and surprisingly sophisticated dessert.”
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, finely diced
- 8 lychees, halved, stones removed
- 6 mint leaves, thinly sliced
Apple and sour-cream soup
- 400 gm cold-pressed unfiltered apple juice (see note), chilled
- 200 gm light sour cream
- 50 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 1For apple and sour cream soup, whisk ingredients in a bowl, strain through a fine sieve and refrigerate to chill (15 minutes).
- 2Divide cucumber, lychees and mint among bowls, top with soup and serve chilled.
Cold-pressed unfiltered apple juice is available from select delicatessens.
This recipe is from the February 2011 issue of
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersEveryone's making sourdough; we're making focacciaYesterday 7:30am
- Fast RecipesSpiced yoghurt chicken with cardamom-coconut pilafYesterday 6:00am