“I love this burger because it’s not too heavy. The fat-to-meat ratio is perfect if you grind a whole lamb shoulder.”
- 1.4kg coarsely minced lamb shoulder
- For brushing: olive oil
- 6 crusty burger buns or ciabatta rolls, halved
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 6 thin slices firm Greek feta (600gm)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and finely ground in a mortar and pestle
- 375 ml peanut oil (1½ cups)
- To taste: lemon juice
- 6 starchy potatoes, such as sebago (about 400gm each), scrubbed
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 1For cumin mayonnaise, process yolks, mustard, vinegar and cumin seeds in a food processor until smooth. With motor running, slowly add peanut oil in a thin stream until emulsified and thick. Season to taste with sea salt and lemon juice, refrigerate until required. Makes about 400ml.
- 2For triple-cooked chips, cut potatoes lengthways into 2cm-thick chips and cook, in batches, in boiling salted water until they turn white and break apart at edges (8-10 minutes). Drain well, then spread over a large tray and stand until cool and dry (1 hour). Meanwhile, preheat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or deep-sided saucepan to 120C. Fry chips, in batches, until the edges are slightly crisp but not coloured (10 minutes; be careful as hot oil may spit). Drain with a metal sieve and cool on a rack. Just before serving, increase oil to 180C. Deep-fry chips, in batches, until golden (3-5 minutes; be careful as hot oil may spit), season to taste and keep warm.
- 3Preheat a char-grill over high heat. Season minced lamb to taste and shape into 6 patties, brush with a little olive oil, then grill, turning frequently, until golden and cooked to your liking (1-2 minutes each side for medium-rare). Meanwhile, grill buns, turning occasionally, until toasted (1-2 minutes each side). Serve patties on toasted buns with onion, feta and cumin mayonnaise and triple-cooked chips to the side.
This recipe is from the June 2010 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Savoury red Chianti. Drink suggestion by Max Allen