They’re not that big on desserts in Spain, and you can go to some restaurants and be offered just an apple. This is a version of a rice pudding that I ate at least once a week in Spain. It’s simple and refreshing.
- 2 litres (8 cups) milk
- 160 gm short-grain rice, such as Calasparra
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- 350 gm caster sugar
- For dusting: ground cinnamon
- 1Combine milk, rice, cinnamon quill and lemon rind in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until rice is tender and milk reduces by half (45-55 minutes). Add sugar and cook until dissolved and slightly thickened (5-10 minutes). Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until cold (3-4 hours).
- 2Remove cinnamon quill from rice mixture, divide among 4 bowls and serve, dusted to taste with ground cinnamon.
Drink Suggestion: A glass of Sánchez Romate Cream Sherry. Drink suggestion by Lok Thornton