“My friend Varuni has the most amazing tea shop in Hobart; it’s called Chado. I love to use her green tea in this recipe because it’s so fresh and alive, and with chocolate it’s a wonderful combination.” - Hamish Ingham, Bar H, Sydney
- 250 ml pouring cream (1 cup)
- 20 gm green tea leaves (1/3 cup)
- 600 gm dark chocolate (65% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- For dusting: Dutch-process cocoa
- 1Bring cream and tea just to the boil over medium-high heat, remove from heat and stand to infuse (30 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve, pressing leaves with the back of a spoon to extract cream (discard leaves).
- 2Melt half the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat, add cream mixture, stir to combine, cover and refrigerate until set (2-3 hours).
- 3Melt 200gm of remaining chocolate over simmering water, add remaining chocolate and stir until smooth.
- 4Scoop balls of tea chocolate mixture with a melon-baller, coat in melted chocolate, shake off excess and set aside on a wire rack to set (25-30 minutes). Dust with cocoa and serve. Alternatively, truffles will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week. Bring to room temperature before serving.
This recipe is from the December 2011 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Oolong tea. Drink suggestion by Charles Leong