- 2 bunches beetroot (about 8 large), scrubbed and trimmed
- 500 ml (2 cups) red wine vinegar
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 60 gm fine sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 10 gm dried chilli flakes
- 4 sprigs each thyme and tarragon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon, or to taste
- To serve: goat’s curd or quark
- 2 tbsp each rolled oats, pistachios, pepitas, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds
- 1 tsp eggwhite (about ¼ eggwhite)
- 1Combine beetroot in a large saucepan with vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic, chilli, herbs and 3 litres water, and bring to the boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until beetroot are tender when pierced with a skewer (30-40 minutes). Drain, then, when cool enough to handle, peel and cut into bite-sized wedges.
- 2Meanwhile, for savoury granola, preheat oven to 170C. Combine ingredients and 1 tsp sea salt flakes in a bowl and mix well, then spread on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake, turning tray halfway through cooking, until golden (8-10 minutes). Cool and store in an airtight container until required. Granola will keep for a week.
- 3To finish salad, combine olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl and season to taste. Add beetroot, toss to coat, then arrange on serving plates. Top with goat’s curd or quark, scatter with savoury granola and serve.