- 2 bunches beetroot (about 8 large), scrubbed and trimmed
- 500 ml (2 cups) red wine vinegar
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 60 gm fine sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 10 gm dried chilli flakes
- 4 sprigs each thyme and tarragon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon, or to taste
- To serve: goat’s curd or quark
- 2 tbsp each rolled oats, pistachios, pepitas, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds
- 1 tsp eggwhite (about ¼ eggwhite)
- 1Combine beetroot in a large saucepan with vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic, chilli, herbs and 3 litres water, and bring to the boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until beetroot are tender when pierced with a skewer (30-40 minutes). Drain, then, when cool enough to handle, peel and cut into bite-sized wedges.
- 2Meanwhile, for savoury granola, preheat oven to 170C. Combine ingredients and 1 tsp sea salt flakes in a bowl and mix well, then spread on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake, turning tray halfway through cooking, until golden (8-10 minutes). Cool and store in an airtight container until required. Granola will keep for a week.
- 3To finish salad, combine olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl and season to taste. Add beetroot, toss to coat, then arrange on serving plates. Top with goat’s curd or quark, scatter with savoury granola and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm