“We always eat beetroot with extra-virgin olive oil and oregano in summer. The horseradish in the mayonnaise moves it into another dimension, giving the dish heat and texture.”
- 2 litres vegetable stock (8 cups)
- 2 bunches each golden and regular baby beetroot (about 24), trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
Yoghurt and oregano mayonnaise
- 2 tsp finely grated horseradish, or to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 100 gm natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1Combine stock, beetroot and garlic in a saucepan, bring to the simmer over medium heat and cook until tender (25-30 minutes). Drain (discard liquid and garlic), peel, halve larger beetroot and set aside to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, for yoghurt and oregano mayonnaise, preheat oven to 120C. Scatter horseradish evenly over a baking tray and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and dry (30 minutes). Process yolk, vinegar and mustard in a food processor until frothy, then add oil in a thin, steady stream until incorporated and mayonnaise is thick. Stir through yoghurt, oregano and horseradish (reserve a little to serve), season to taste, drizzle over beetroot and serve scattered with reserved horseradish.
This recipe is from the May 2010 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm