"A classic combo and classic Bodega dish," say Abrahanowicz and Milgate. "We used to call this dish the savoury Viennetta."
- ¼ small cabbage (about 300gm), leaves separated, ribs removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50 gm butter, diced
- Cottonseed oil, for deep-frying
- 1 sheet brik pastry (see note)
- 75 gm finely grated cauliflower
- 1 tbsp liquid from a jar of pickled ginger
- 1 tsp fish sauce, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 morcilla sausage (about 150gm), sliced (see note)
- 8 large scallops
- 100 gm mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp hulled tahini
- 1 tbsp thick natural yoghurt
- 1For tahini mayonnaise, mix ingredients in a bowl to combine, season to taste and transfer to a piping bag with a 5mm plain nozzle.
- 2Heat a large saucepan over high heat, add cabbage and toss occasionally until lightly coloured (1-2 minutes). Add olive oil, garlic and a splash of water, season to taste and cover with a lid. Reduce heat to medium and steam, stirring occasionally, until just tender (3-5 minutes). Stir butter through cabbage and set aside.
- 3Heat oil in a saucepan to 160C. Cut pastry into four 4cm x 14cm rectangles and deep-fry one at a time until crisp and golden (1-2 minutes). Drain on paper towels.
- 4Combine cauliflower, pickled ginger liquid, fish sauce, chives, coriander and spring onion in a bowl and season to taste.
- 5Preheat oven to 200C. Place morcilla on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake to warm through (2-3 minutes). Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle scallops with a little olive oil and pan-fry until golden brown (1-2 minutes), then turn and cook for 30 seconds and remove from pan.
- 6Place 4 scallops in a row on two serving plates and top each with a piece of morcilla. Spoon some cabbage around it and season with a couple of drops of fish sauce. Pipe tahini mayonnaise onto 2 brik pastry rectangles, sandwich with remaining rectangles and place each on top of morcilla. Top with cauliflower mixture and serve.
Brik pastry is available from Middle Eastern grocers. Morcilla is available from Spanish butchers and select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Torrontés Drink suggestion by Joe Valore