- 80 ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 4 fennel bulbs, trimmed and quartered
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 80 ml each dry white wine and vermouth
- 40 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a large, deep ovenproof frying pan, add fennel and fennel seeds, season to taste with sea salt and sugar and turn occasionally until golden (6-8 minutes). Add wine and vermouth, cover closely with baking paper and braise in oven until tender (25-30 minutes). Remove fennel with a slotted spoon (keep warm), then bring braising liquid to the simmer over medium heat. Add butter a little at a time, whisking continuously after each addition until incorporated, then season to taste. Spoon sauce over fennel and serve hot.