This is not a traditional stuffing but a bread salad – the aromatics compliment the roast beautifully. It works spectacularly with roast chicken and pork, too.
- ½ cup thinly sliced golden shallots (about 6)
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely diced jamón or smoked pancetta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 350 gm day-old sourdough bread, broken into small pieces
- 2 tbsp roasted pistachio kernels, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, finely ground
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- 125 ml chicken stock (½ cup)
- To drizzle: pan juices from roast goose or other roast
- 1Combine shallot, garlic, jamón and olive oil in a frying pan and cook, without colouring, over low heat for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Combine bread and extra-virgin olive oil in a roasting pan and toss to combine, then roast for 20 minutes or until light golden. Add pistachio, fennel and lemon rind, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and combine.
- 3Meanwhile, bring stock to a simmer over medium heat, pour over stuffing, cover and stand, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until soft. If stuffing seems dry, add a splash of pan juices. Serve with <a href="roast_goose_with_pickled_cherries.htm">roast goose</a> and <a href="glazed_dutch_carrots.htm">glazed Dutch carrots</a>.