You’ll need to begin this recipe two days ahead.
- 1 kg salt cod, soaked in cold water for 36 hours, changing water 4 times
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 inner celery stalks and leaves, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, plus 1 extra halved
- 800 gm floury potatoes, such as spunta, cut into small pieces
- 250 ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 4 slices crusty bread, such as ciabatta
- For drizzling: extra-virgin olive oil
- To serve: coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Remove bones from salt cod, coarsely flake and set aside (discard skin and bones). Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, celery and garlic, sauté until soft and translucent (8-10 minutes). Add salt cod, potato and enough cold water to just cover and simmer until potato is very tender (25-30 minutes). Add cream, then process with a hand-held blender until very smooth. Season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat a grill to high. Drizzle bread slices liberally with olive oil and toast until golden (1-2 minutes each side), then rub with cut-side of garlic clove. Place a garlic croûton in the base of each serving bowl, ladle over soup, sprinkle with parsley and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Serve with extra croûtons if you like.
This recipe is from the August 2009 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am