- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 500 gm small green lentils
- 500 gm Jap pumpkin, cut into small wedges
- 400 gm canned chopped Italian tomatoes
- 1 preserved lemon, rinsed, flesh discarded, rind thinly sliced
- 25 gm harissa, or to taste (see note)
- 1Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until foaming, add onion and stir occasionally until soft and golden (8-10 minutes). Add carrot, celery and garlic, stir occasionally until soft and golden (8-10 minutes). Add lentils and 2 litres water, cook for 20 minutes, then add pumpkin and tomato, season to taste and cook until lentils and pumpkin are very tender (20-30 minutes). Add preserved lemon and harissa to taste, cook for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately with yoghurt and coriander.
Note Harissa is a North African spice paste available from select delicatessens and specialty food shops. Spiciness will vary among brands, so add a little at a time according to your taste. This recipe is from the August 2009 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.