"Here you've got the luxury of breaking the egg yolk, mixing it through the salad, and noshing on the just-picked beans and peas."
- 300 gm podded broad beans (about 1kg unpodded)
- 10 thin slices flat mild pancetta
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 300 gm podded peas (about 1kg unpodded)
- 1 cup each flat-leaf parsley and mint, torn (firmly packed)
- ½ cup dill, torn (firmly packed)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp caster sugar, or to taste
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, bruised
- 1For lemon vinaigrette, whisk lemon juice, sugar and a pinch of salt to combine in a bowl, then whisk in oil. Season to taste (it should be quite sweet). Add garlic, set aside.
- 2Blanch broad beans until tender (3 minutes), then refresh and drain. Peel broad beans, set aside.
- 3Heat a large non-stick frying pan over low heat, add pancetta in two batches and turn occasionally until very crisp (8-10 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- 4Bring a shallow saucepan of water to the simmer over low heat (small bubbles should just be forming on the pan surface), add vinegar and, one at a time, crack an egg into a cup then slide egg into water. Cook until soft-poached (3-4 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon, drain and set aside.
- 5Meanwhile, blanch peas until tender, adding broad beans to water during last 20 seconds to warm through (4-6 minutes; see cook's notes p210). Drain, transfer to a bowl, add herbs and pancetta. Season to taste, add half the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Divide mixture among plates, top with poached eggs. Drizzle with remaining dressing, season egg to taste and serve warm.
Drink Suggestion: 2008 By Farr Viognier. Drink suggestion by Jake Smyth