- 5 big ripe tomatoes
- 100 gm softened butter
- 1 loaf ciabatta, thickly sliced
- For drizzling: olive oil
- To serve: basil
- 1Halve the tomatoes, cutting just off centre so the core is in one half; cut the core out and cut tomatoes into medium-sized dice. Put the chopped tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, then leave for at least 30 minutes; the salt will help draw out the juice.
- 2Follow the method for frying the bread from the previous recipe, but without the turmeric.
- 3Strain the tomatoes into a bowl, reserving the tomato water for another use. Put the tomato dice in a serving bowl, drizzle with olive oil, add a pinch of pepper and scatter with basil.
- 4Serve the bread and tomatoes separately so diners can add the tomatoes to the bread just before they eat it. Put the olive oil, salt and pepper on the table, too, so your guests can customise as they go.