- 1½ litres milk (5 cups)
- 330 gm caster sugar (1½ cups)
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 85 gm almonds, finely ground
- 6 eggwhites
Orange and ancho chilli curd
- 80 gm caster sugar
- Large pinch of ancho chilli powder
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 gm butter, cut into small cubes
- 1Combine milk, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon in a large saucepan over medium heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until milk starts to thicken (35-40 minutes). Remove cinnamon (discard), add almond and cook until mixture is very thick, easily coats a spoon and is light brown (20-30 minutes; you’ll need to stir constantly from 12 minutes after adding the ground almonds). Remove from heat and set aside to cool (50 minutes to 1 hour).
- 2Preheat oven to 175C. Combine milk mixture and eggwhites in a bowl, then pour into an oiled 1.5-litre 20cm square baking dish and bake until puffed and brown on top (25-35 minutes). Remove from oven, place 3 tea towels on top of cake (this flattens the cake as it cools) and set aside to cool (3 hours).
- 3Meanwhile, for orange and ancho chilli curd, blend sugar, ancho powder and orange rind in a small blender until evenly coloured and the rind has broken down, then transfer to an electric mixer. Heat orange juice in a saucepan over medium heat to 50C on a sugar thermometer (1-2 minutes). Add egg and egg yolk to sugar mixture and whisk until fluffy (3 minutes). Add warmed juice and mix until well incorporated. Return mixture to pan, reduce heat to low and stir until mixture thickly coats a spoon (4-6 minutes). Remove from heat and gently whisk in butter, a piece at a time, until incorporated. Set aside to cool completely, then refrigerate to chill (1-2 hours). Stir before serving because the butter separates slightly. Drizzle over cake and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Espolón Añejo. Drink suggestion by Paul Aron
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm