"This is my own twist on skordalia," says Calombaris. "My family in Greece wouldn't recognise this as skordalia without all the garlic, but almonds are traditional and I think the idea of cauliflower fits in with a southern Mediterranean tradition."
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 400 gm cauliflower (about ½ small cauliflower), thinly sliced
- 1 golden shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 150 ml milk
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 40 gm smoked almonds
- To serve: char-grilled pita bread
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 100 gm cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1For pickled cauliflower, stir all ingredients, except cauliflower, and 50ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat to dissolve sugar. Season to taste, add cauliflower, stir to combine and cool to room temperature (20-30 minutes).
- 2Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, then add sliced cauliflower, shallot and garlic. Stir occasionally until tender (8-10 minutes) and season to taste. Add milk and herbs, cover, reduce heat to low and cook until cauliflower is very tender (15-20 minutes). Purée in a food processor until very smooth. Top with pickled cauliflower and smoked almonds and serve warm or at room temperature with char-grilled pita bread.
Drink Suggestion: 2012 Gentilini Robola Cephalonia. Drink suggestion by Andrew Phillpot
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm