"My best mate Robbie is Sicilian," says Choy. "We worked together at The River Cafe and on a trip together in Sicily we cooked this with his family. It's such a simple side, but has a beautiful texture, and with just three components it complements just about anything you're serving. We have served this dish at Sagra with both grilled lamb leg and swordfish, and each way is equally as good."
- 6 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways on a mandolin
- 100 gm blanched almonds
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint, torn
- 1Combine zucchini and 1 tsp sea salt flakes in a bowl and set aside until excess liquid seeps from zucchini (1 hour).
- 2Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan over high heat. Grill almonds lightly until golden brown (2-4 minutes), then coarsely chop, place in a bowl with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with a little salt.
- 3Pat zucchini dry with paper towels, toss in a bowl with remaining oil, then char-grill, turning once, until charred and tender (1-2 minutes each side). Transfer to a bowl, add red wine vinegar, mint and almonds and serve.
Drink Suggestion: St Michael-Eppan Pinot Bianco Schulthauser 2012, Alto Adige. Drink suggestion by Nigel Ward
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am