- 80 gm dried jellyfish (optional; see note), soaked in cold water for 5 minutes
- 400 gm (4¼ cups) thinly sliced Chinese cabbage (about 1/3 cabbage)
- 2 cups (loosely packed) coriander
- 1 cup (loosely packed) each mint, Thai or holy basil and Vietnamese mint
- To serve: shiso cress (optional)
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) raw apple cider vinegar
Fried shallots and garlic
- 4 golden shallots, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 250 ml (1 cup) melted coconut oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Fish sauce dressing
- 60 ml (¼ cup) fish sauce
- 1½ tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbsp unfiltered honey (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes, or to taste
- 600 gm skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 400 gm canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1For pickled onion, combine onion and vinegar in a bowl and stand until lightly pickled (20 minutes), then drain.
- 2For fried shallots and garlic, place shallots and coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until shallots turn golden (3-6 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with garlic (1-2 minutes).
- 3For fish sauce dressing, combine ingredients in a large jar with 60ml water. Shake and set aside.
- 4For coconut-poached chicken, place chicken in a single layer in a saucepan and add remaining ingredients and enough water to just cover (about 125ml). Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until chicken is just cooked through (10-12 minutes). Set aside to cool in liquid, then drain and shred.
- 5Rinse jellyfish well under cold running water, then pat dry with paper towels and coarsely chop. Combine cabbage and herbs in a bowl and toss well. Add jellyfish, chicken and fish sauce dressing to taste and toss again. Serve scattered with fried shallots and garlic, pickled onion and shiso cress.
Note Dried jellyfish is available from Asian supermarkets.