"You can't do yakitori without chicken!" says chef Ryota Kishimoto. Soak bamboo skewers overnight, if possible.
- 600 gm chicken thighs, skin on, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 2cm pieces
- Cooking sake, for brushing
- Coarsely chopped cabbage, to serve
- Togarashi (see note), to serve
- 1Preheat a charcoal barbecue to medium-high). Thread 3 pieces chicken and 3 pieces onion alternately onto skewers. Dust salt flakes over skewers using dry hands.
- 2Once flames have died down, place skewers over charcoal, brush with sake and grill, turning, until golden brown (4-5 minutes). Rest for 2 minutes, then return to barbecue until cooked through (1-2 minutes). Serve on a bed of cabbage with togarashi.
Togarashi is available from Japanese grocers and select supermarkets.
Sake suggestion A savoury nama-style sake from Aichi, Japan, such as Fujiichi Shuzo Kikutaka Kobo #7 (blackmarketsake.com) Sake suggestion by Kei Tokiwa.