- 50 ml olive oil
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 500 ml chicken or vegetable stock (2 cups)
- 200 gm shelled peas (from 500gm peas in pods)
- To serve: crème fraîche
- To serve: large handful of coriander leaves
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add spring onion and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add spices and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until spices are fragrant and mustard seeds begin to pop. Add stock and peas to saucepan and bring to the boil, then immediately remove from the heat and pour into a blender. Allow to cool for a few minutes before puréeing until smooth. Season soup with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and refrigerate until required.
- 2For crisp shallots, pour a 3cm depth of vegetable oil into a small saucepan and heat to 180C. Add shallots and fry until light golden and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shallots to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- 3Serve soup topped with a spoonful of crème fraîche, some crisp shallots and coriander leaves.
Drink Suggestion: Good dry fino Sherry. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Hotel AwardsAustralia's Hotel of the Year for 2018 is revealedYesterday 10:00pm