- 80 ml (1/3 cup) fat such as duck fat, tallow, lard or coconut oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 60 gm chipotle chillies in adobo, plus 60ml adobo sauce (see note)
- 2 tbsp honey (preferably raw unfiltered)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground garlic powder, ground onion powder
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 kg chicken wings
- To serve: coriander and lime cheeks
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1¼ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 175 ml olive oil or macadamia oil
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp each coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and dill
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1For chipotle chicken, blend ingredients except chicken, ½ tsp salt and a pinch of pepper in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a non-reactive container, add chicken, turn to coat, then cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least an hour or overnight.
- 2Meanwhile, for dressing, process egg, yolk, vinegar, mustard, garlic and 1 tsp salt in a food processor until combined. With motor running, gradually add oil in a thin steady stream until thick and emulsified. Add coconut cream and onion powder and pulse to combine, then refrigerate to chill (5-10 minutes) or until required. Whisk in herbs and lemon juice just before serving.
- 3Preheat oven to 220C. Transfer wings and sauce to a roasting pan and roast, turning wings occasionally, until browned and tender (45-50 minutes). Drizzle with pan sauce, scatter with coriander and serve with dipping sauce and lime cheeks.
Note Chipotle chillies in adobo sauce are available from select delicatessens and montereyfoods.com.au.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm