- 80 ml (1/3 cup) fat such as duck fat, tallow, lard or coconut oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 60 gm chipotle chillies in adobo, plus 60ml adobo sauce (see note)
- 2 tbsp honey (preferably raw unfiltered)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground garlic powder, ground onion powder
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1¼ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 175 ml olive oil or macadamia oil
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp each coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and dill
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1For chipotle chicken, blend ingredients except chicken, ½ tsp salt and a pinch of pepper in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a non-reactive container, add chicken, turn to coat, then cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least an hour or overnight.
- 2Meanwhile, for dressing, process egg, yolk, vinegar, mustard, garlic and 1 tsp salt in a food processor until combined. With motor running, gradually add oil in a thin steady stream until thick and emulsified. Add coconut cream and onion powder and pulse to combine, then refrigerate to chill (5-10 minutes) or until required. Whisk in herbs and lemon juice just before serving.
- 3Preheat oven to 220C. Transfer wings and sauce to a roasting pan and roast, turning wings occasionally, until browned and tender (45-50 minutes). Drizzle with pan sauce, scatter with coriander and serve with dipping sauce and lime cheeks.
Note Chipotle chillies in adobo sauce are available from select delicatessens and montereyfoods.com.au.