- 200 gm okra, trimmed and sliced
- 30 gm chickpea flour
- 1 tsp each chilli powder, ground turmeric and chat masala (see note)
- 1 garlic clove and 5gm ginger (about 1cm piece), pounded to a smooth paste with a little water in a mortar and pestle
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 180 gm cooked chickpeas
- 250 gm pomegranate seeds (about 2 small pomegranates)
- 50 gm coriander leaves
- 50 ml lime juice
- ½ tsp each chilli powder and chat masala
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1For okra, combine ingredients (except okra and oil) in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and enough water to make a batter. Add okra, toss well to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok to 180C. Deep-fry okra until crisp, then drain on absorbent towel.
- 2To prepare the salad, mix ingredients in a bowl, season to taste. Garnish with crisp okra and serve at room temperature.
Christine Manfield lists a recipe for chat masala spice mix in her book. You can buy a similar blend from Herbie's Spices.
by Christine Manfield, with photography by Anson Smart, will be published in October by Penguin Lantern ($89.95, hbk). Recipes have been reproduced here with minor
style changes. Manfield hosts a 16-day "Tasting India" tour from Delhi to Hyderabad for
starting 30 October.
This recipe is from the September 2011 issue of