- Pulp of 6-8 passionfruit, to serve
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 350 ml strained fresh pineapple juice (see note)
- 65 gm liquid glucose
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 25 ml strained fresh lime juice
- 500 ml strained fresh mango purée (about 4 mangoes; see note) (2 cups)
- 100 gm liquid glucose
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 160 ml passionfruit juice (about 12 passionfruit; see note)
- 350 ml pouring cream
- 1Place six 6.5cm-diameter, 7.5cm-high ring moulds on a tray lined with baking paper in the freezer, or line an 8cm-deep, 25cm x 8cm rectangular loaf tin with plastic wrap and place in the freezer until required.
- 2For pineapple sorbet, whisk sugar into pineapple juice until sugar dissolves. Heat glucose in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water to thin, then stir into juice. Churn in an ice-cream machine, then spoon into ring moulds or tin, filling to a third full and smoothing tops (there may be a little sorbet left over) and freeze until firm (1-2 hours for ring moulds; 4-5 hours for loaf tin).
- 3For mango sorbet, whisk sugar and lime juice into mango purée until sugar dissolves. Heat glucose in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, then stir thoroughly into purée. Churn in an ice-cream machine, then spread on top of pineapple sorbet to fill moulds or tin to two-thirds full, smooth tops and freeze until firm (1-2 hours for ring moulds; 4-5 hours for loaf tin).
- 4For passionfruit ice-cream, whisk sugar and yolks in a bowl with a hand-held electric mixer until pale and creamy (3-4 minutes), then whisk in passionfruit juice. Bring half the cream to simmering point in a saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk into passionfruit mixture, then place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir continuously until mixture coats the back of a spoon (8-10 minutes). Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl, whisk in remaining cream and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate to chill completely. Churn in an ice-cream machine, then spread on top of mango sorbet, smooth tops and freeze (1-2 hours for ring moulds; 4-5 hours for loaf tin). Cover and freeze until required.
- 5To serve, run sides of moulds quickly under hot water and unmould onto a chilled tray, ice-creamside down, or dip sides of terrine mould into hot water and unmould onto a chilled board ice-creamside down and slice into 2cm-thick slices with a hot, wet sharp knife. Place on chilled plates and serve with passionfruit pulp spooned on top.
Buy pineapple juice from a juice bar or juice it yourself; 1 pineapple makes about 500ml strained juice. For mango purée, process mango flesh in a blender until smooth and pass it through a fine sieve. For passionfruit juice, process passionfruit pulp in a food processor until seeds crack, then pass it through a fine sieve.
Drink Suggestion: Mount Horrocks Cordon Cut Riesling. Drink suggestion by Christine Manfield
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe must-have Italian pantry staples for your kitchenYesterday 5:00am