This simple salad relies on the best quality anchovies for success.
- 1 small day-old baguette, very thinly sliced
- 80 ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 4 heads baby cos lettuce, outer leaves discarded, quartered
- 100 gm wild rocket
- 30 ml chardonnay vinegar
- 18 anchovy fillet
- To serve: finely chopped chives
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 egg yolk
- 40 gm Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Champagne vinegar
- 50 ml canola oil
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 40 gm cornichons, finely chopped
- 20 gm capers in brine, rinsed, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp coarsely chopped tarragon
- 1For sauce gribiche, cook egg in boiling salted water until hard-boiled (10 minutes), drain and refresh under cold running water. Peel, finely chop and set aside. Meanwhile, cook garlic in a small saucepan of boiling water until tender (4-5 minutes), strain and mash with a fork until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, add yolk, mustard and vinegar and whisk to combine. Add oils in a thin steady stream, whisking continuously until thick and emulsified and thinning with a little hot water if necessary. Stir through cornichons, capers, tarragon and hard-boiled egg, season to taste and refrigerate until required. Makes about 1 cup.
- 2Preheat oven to 120C. Spread baguette slices on an oven tray, drizzle with a little olive oil, season to taste, bake until light golden and crisp (10-12 minutes), cool to room temperature. Croûtons will keep for 2 days in an airtight container.
- 3Combine cos and rocket in a bowl with vinegar and remaining olive oil, season to taste. Place dollops of sauce gribiche on serving plates, arrange lettuce mixture on top and drape each salad with three anchovies. Coarsely crumble over croûtons, scatter with chives and serve.
This recipe is from the January 2011 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: 2009 Martinsancho Verdejo, Spain Drink suggestion by Lincoln Riley
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am