“When I first came to Australia and saw live bugs it was surreal. The gently sublime texture and taste of the bugs really marries all the flavours together.”
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 3 continental cucumbers, seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 300 gm sheep’s milk yoghurt
- To serve: borage flowers (optional)
Moreton Bay bug salad
- 8 cooked Moreton Bay bug tails, removed from shell, coarsely chopped
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- 1½ tbsp (firmly packed) each dill and flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn
- ½ long red chilli, seeds removed, cut into julienne
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add cucumber, cover with a lid and sauté until tender (8-10 minutes). Process in a food processor until smooth, then refrigerate until cool. Add yoghurt, season to taste, then pass through a fine sieve and refrigerate until required.
- 2For Moreton Bay bug salad, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and toss lightly to combine. Serve with chilled cucumber and yoghurt soup, scattered with borage flowers.
This recipe is from the February 2010 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: 2005 Salomon Von Stein Reserve Grüner Veltliner. Drink suggestion by Liam O'Brien