"Cold salty cucumber just makes us happy," says Jemma Whiteman, one half of Pinbone, who created this recipe for the Mr Liquor's Dirty Italian Disco pop-up in Sydney. "This salad came about because we wanted all our favourite things in one bowl – sweet roasted onions, briny olives and refreshing cucumber. We work in a hot tin shed surrounded by wood fire so we love the fresh cooling effect of this tasty salad."
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, chopped into 2cm-3cm chunks
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 salad onions, green tops thinly sliced and reserved
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (40gm) black olives, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup watercress leaves
- ½ cup mint leaves, torn
- 2 oregano sprigs, coarsely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp honey
- 1Combine cucumber with sugar, garlic and 1 tsp sea salt in a bowl and leave to pickle for at least 1 hour or refrigerate to pickle overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C. Toss onion bulbs with half the olive oil, transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast, turning occasionally, until softened and starting to caramelise (25-30 minutes). Cool, then quarter onions lengthways.
- 3Drain cucumber, combine with onions, olives, watercress, mint, oregano and onion tops. Dress with lemon juice, honey and remaining olive oil. Season with cracked black pepper – the cucumber and olives are already salty – and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am