- 3 young coconuts, drained (water reserved) and quartered
- 1 cardamom pod, bruised
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp coriander seeds
- ¼ tsp ground chilli
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 25 ml vegetable oil
- 25 ml Champagne vinegar
- 12 small sorrel leaves, torn
- 1 tbsp fennel fronds
- 1 tbsp small purple perilla leaves (see note)
- 1 tbsp edible flowers (optional; see note), to serve
- 1Scoop flesh out of coconuts with a large spoon, coarsely chop into bite-sized pieces, place in a bowl and refrigerate until required.
- 2Dry-roast spices and garlic powder in a frying pan over medium heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes), add vegetable oil and heat until just warm, then allow to cool (10-15 minutes). Pass oil through a fine sieve (discard solids), add vinegar and 30ml reserved coconut water (remainder can be kept to drink), season to taste with sea salt and whisk to combine.
- 3Arrange coconut on a plate, dress with vinaigrette, then scatter with sorrel, fennel fronds, perilla and flowers and serve.
Note Perilla leaves are available from Asian grocers; substitute shiso. Edible flowers are available from select grocers, garden centres and specialty growers, such as Darling Mills.
Drink Suggestion: Ochota Barrels "+5V 0V Basket Range" chardonnay. Drink suggestion by Taras Ochota