"Known as raspados in Latin America, these shaved ices are quick and easy warm-weather treats," says Curtis Stone. "Muddled strawberries mingle with three milks (condensed, full-cream, and buttermilk for a little tang) and crushed ice, making for an ultra-refreshing fix. Serve with a spoon and a straw so none goes to waste."
- 235 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 160 ml milk
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) buttermilk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 400 gm small strawberries, hulled and halved
- 20 gm caster sugar
- 8 cups ice cubes
- Ground cinnamon, to serve
- 1Whisk milks and vanilla in a bowl to combine, then cover and refrigerate until well chilled (2-3 hours). This can be done up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated.
- 2Toss strawberries and sugar in a large bowl to coat and set aside, tossing occasionally, until berries release their juices (15-20 minutes), then mash with a fork.
- 3Working in batches, grind ice in a food processor until very finely crushed and fluffy.
- 4Divide mashed strawberries among 6 chilled glasses, pile crushed ice on top, drizzle with tres leches mixture, scatter with ground cinnamon to taste, and serve with a spoon and a straw.