For the full results of our spag Bol poll, including recipes and Q&As with 60 of the country’s finest chefs, click <a href="/battle-of-the-bol.htm">here</a>.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 100 gm pork belly, cut into small dice
- 80 gm chicken livers, cut into small dice
- 400 gm braising steak, cut into small dice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 clove
- 100 ml white wine
- 100 ml milk
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 450 gm passata
- 1Heat oil in a large, deep, heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent but not coloured (about 5 mins). Add celery and carrots and allow to cook for a further 5 mins. Add pork and chicken livers and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until meat is still pink, then add the diced meat, stirring constantly until meat is just cooked (about 5 mins). Season with freshly grated nutmeg and clove. Add wine and allow to reduce by ¾. Then add the milk and allow to reduce by ¾. Then add the tomato paste and passata. Reduce heat to low and allow to gently simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Season to taste and serve.
Note This is a direct submission from our chef respondent and not a recipe we've put through the triple-testing of everything else we publish in the magazine and is therefore intended as a guide only. Please refer to the recipe given by our food director, Emma Knowles, for a tested and more detailed walk-through.