- ½ telegraph cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 1cm dice
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes (400gm)
- 9 quail eggs, at room temperature
- 8 thin slices baguette
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 500 gm sashimi-grade yellowfin tuna
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 celery heart, shaved, placed in iced water for 10 minutes, drained, leaves reserved to serve
- 3 cooked artichoke hearts (see note), drained, quartered
- 1 roast red capsicum, cut into 2cm-thick strips (see note)
- 6 white anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp tapenade (see note)
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Place cucumber in a colander and lightly season with sea salt, set aside until liquid is drawn from cucumber (10 minutes). Drain, pat dry with absorbent paper, set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, blanch tomatoes until skins split (10-20 seconds). Drain, refresh, then drain, peel, remove seeds, cut into eighths and set aside.
- 3Soft-boil quail eggs in a saucepan of boiling water (2-2½ minutes). Refresh, peel, halve and set aside.
- 4Rub baguette slices with cut side of garlic clove. Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add baguette and turn occasionally until crisp and golden (3-4 minutes). Keep warm.
- 5Preheat a char-grill pan over high heat. Brush tuna with olive oil and grill, turning once, until golden and cooked rare (15-20 seconds each side). Thinly slice and set aside.
- 6For lemon vinaigrette, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- 7Combine olives, celery, artichoke, capsicum, cucumber and tomato in a bowl with half the dressing and season lightly to taste. Arrange on a platter and place tuna on top with quail eggs, anchovies and radish. Pour over remaining dressing, scatter with basil, chervil, chives and celery leaves. Spread baguette with tapenade and serve with salad.
Cooked artichoke hearts, roast capsicum and tapenade are available from select delicatessens.
This recipe is from the January 2011 issue of