“The original 20s sherry-based ‘East India’ cocktail was a very different affair but I still think the colonists would approve of my homage to Eastern cuisine.” – Matt Bax
- 30 ml vodka (see note)
- 10 ml tamarind water (see note)
- ½ small hot red chilli, finely sliced, plus extra to garnish
- 15 ml lime juice
- 5 ml sugar syrup (see note)
- Pinch of ground cumin seeds
- 1Add all ingredients to a shaker or bar glass half-filled with ice, shake hard and fast and strain into a teacup. Add a few ice cubes and sliced chilli to garnish if desired and serve.
Bax uses 42 Below vodka. For tamarind water, soak a piece of tamarind paste, available at supermarkets and Asian food stores, in hot water, then strain into a bowl, discarding solids. To make sugar syrup, combine an equal quantity of sugar and water in a saucepan and boil or simmer to dissolve. One cup each of sugar and water will make 1½ cups of syrup, and if sealed will keep indefinitely in the fridge.