"We came up with this cocktail because we were excited about two interesting winemakers having branched out to make these fantastic spirits," says Brigitte Hafner. "One, a gin called the Melbourne Gin Company by Andrew Marks, and the other a sweet vermouth using Australian botanicals called Maidenii, from Sutton Grange winemaker Gilles Lapalus."
- 250 ml Maidenii dry vermouth (see note)
- 125 ml Fever-Tree tonic water (½ cup)
- 60 ml Melbourne Gin Company gin
- 125 ml sugar syrup (see note) (½ cup)
- 1 tsp rose water
- 250 ml pink grapefruit juice, chilled (1 cup)
Candied orange peel
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1For candied orange peel, blanch rind (1 minute), then combine in a saucepan with sugar and 50ml water, and cook over medium heat until peel is transparent and candied (6-8 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 2Combine cocktail ingredients, except ice, in a large jug and stir, then pour into chilled glasses over ice, garnish with candied peel and serve.
Note Maidenii dry vermouth is available from select bottle shops. To make sugar syrup, bring 90gm caster sugar and 80ml water to the boil, stir to dissolve, then set aside to cool. Makes 130ml.