"The acidity from the vinegar in the escabeche cuts through the oiliness of the sardines," says Cooke, "and the saltiness of the tapenade balances the whole dish."
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 5 large Dutch carrots, thinly sliced on an angle
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (loosely-packed) coriander
- 12 sardines, filleted
- 1/3 baguette, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 150 gm (1 cup) Kalamata olives, pitted
- 25 gm anchovy fillets
- 3 garlic cloves
- 25 ml olive oil
- 1For tapenade, process olives, anchovies and garlic in a small food processor until finely chopped, then gradually add olive oil until smooth. Season to taste and set aside.
- 2Heat 100ml olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion, garlic, coriander seeds and saffron, and stir occasionally until tender (3-4 minutes). Add carrots, vinegar and 25ml water, and simmer until carrots are just tender (4-5 minutes). Remove from heat, add coriander leaves and season to taste.
- 3Preheat grill to high. Brush sardines lightly with remaining olive oil, season to taste, place skin-side up on a lightly oiled baking tray and grill until just cooked (1-2 minutes). Transfer to a serving plate, spoon on hot escabeche and cool to room temperature.
- 4Toast bread under grill, turning once (1-2 minutes each side), rub with cut garlic and spread with tapenade, and serve with sardine escabeche scattered with micro-coriander.
Drink Suggestion: 2011 Mount Mary Triolet blend, Yarra Valley. Drink suggestion by Garrett Donovan