"The Bellini, traditionally a Venetian drink of white peach and prosecco, gets an indigenous promotion here - the Australian nectarine season is short on time, but huge on flavour," says Philips. "Make the most of it at your next barbecue. You can pass the nectarines through a mouli if you have one, which is a specification in the original Bellini recipe from Harry's Bar to minimise oxidation." Makes 1.5 litres.
- 500 ml fino Sherry (see note)
- 750 ml dry sparkling wine
- 2 large ripe yellow nectarines, stones removed, coarsely chopped
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar
- 1For Bellini base, blend nectarines, lemon and sugar in a blender until smooth, adding a little water to thin if necessary to a thick sauce consistency. Refrigerate until required.
- 2To serve, pour 30ml Fino solera into chilled Champagne coupes, add 30ml Bellini base and top with sparkling wine (about 60ml each).