- 1.5 kg chicken wingettes
- 500 gm (3⅓ cups) chickpea flour (besan), for coating
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Fennel and herb salad and lime wedges,to serve
- Crushed fried shallots, fried garlic and finely chopped dried red chilli, to serve
- 600 ml buttermilk
- 200 gm mild curry paste (see recipe in Sunda's crisp rice salad)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (see note)
- 1 tbsp shichimi togarashi (see note)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 red shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 80 gm grated dark palm sugar
- 2 tbsp Fu Chi bean sauce (see note)
- 2 tbsp tamarind purée (see note)
- 3 tsp kecap manis
- 250 gm low-gluten wheat flour (see note)
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 60 ml condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 350 ml buttermilk
- 80 gm unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1For batter, whisk ingredients and 2 tbsp salt in a bowl until well combined.
- 2Add chicken to batter and mix with your hands until chicken is evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate (overnight).
- 3For palm-sugar glaze, stir shallot, garlic, chilli and oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until caramelised (6-8 minutes). Add remaining ingredients, ½ tsp salt and 2 tbsp water and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until a thick sticky glaze (2-3 minutes).
- 4For waffles, combine dry ingredients and 1 tsp fine salt in a bowl and mix well. Combine wet ingredients separately and whisk to combine. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture and leave for 30 minutes. Heat a waffle iron and grease with butter. Strain batter, then add a heaped 1/4-cupful of batter to a waffle iron (exact amounts will vary; refer to manufacturer's instructions), and cook until golden (2-4 minutes). Keep warm, and repeat with remaining batter (makes about 8 waffles).
- 5Remove chicken from marinade, roll each wing in chickpea flour, then transfer to a tray and leave for 10 minutes.
- 6Preheat oil in a deep saucepan to 160°C. Deep-fry wings in batches until golden brown and crisp (4-5 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit), then drain on paper towels.
- 7Top waffles with wings, drizzle over glaze, and serve with fennel salad, lime wedges and shallot mixture on the side.
Nutritional yeast is available from health food shops and select supermarkets. Shichimi togarashi, a Japanese chilli blend, Fu Chi bean sauce and low-gluten wheat flour are available from Asian supermarkets.
Method To make tamarind purée, mix 40gm tamarind pulp with 40ml boiling water and stand until softened, then pass through a sieve, pressing firmly.
Wine suggestion 2017 Good Intentions Wine Co Floppy Giggle Day. Wine suggestion by Brad Hammond.