- 1 rabbit, jointed into 8 pieces
- 500 ml (2 cups) buttermilk (see note)
- 150 gm Korean hot bean paste
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- To serve: lemon cheeks
- 300 gm (2 cups) plain flour
- 60 gm (1 cup) panko crumbs (see note)
- 75 gm (½ cup) cornflour
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1Combine rabbit, buttermilk and hot bean paste in a large bowl, mixing well, cover and refrigerate overnight to marinate and tenderise the rabbit.
- 2Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 170C. Combine crumb coating ingredients and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl. Drain rabbit pieces and cover evenly in the crumb, shaking off excess. Deep-fry in batches, turning, until golden (4-5 minutes; hot oil will spit). Drain on paper towels, season to taste and serve hot with lemon cheeks.
Note Real buttermilk is available from health-food shops. If it's unavailable, use yoghurt thinned with a little milk. Panko breadcrumbs are available from Japanese grocers and select supermarkets. If they're unavailable, substitute dried breadcrumbs.
Drink Suggestion: A 2012 Michel Guignier Gamay rosé, Beaujolais, France. Drink suggestion by Mat Lindsay