- 250 gm jasmine rice, rinsed and drained at least 3 times to remove excess starch
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs whisked with 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder, such as Knorr (see note)
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp XO sauce
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 350 ml chicken stock
- 70 ml white soy sauce (see note)
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp ginger oil, or ¼ tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1½ eggwhites (50gm)
- 80 gm spanner crab meat
- 80 gm scallops, cut into small pieces
- 30 gm tapioca starch, dissolved in 50ml cold water
- 1Place rice and 480ml water in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to the boil over medium-high heat, stirring once, then cover and cook over very low heat for 12 minutes. Turn off heat, don't uncover and leave on residual heat for 20 minutes to finish cooking. Loosen with a fork or spoon, spread out evenly on a tray and fan occasionally to speed cooling, then refrigerate uncovered to dry completely (3-4 hours).
- 2For Fujian seafood sauce, place stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then add white soy sauce, sugar, oils and ¼ tsp salt. Bring back to the boil and whisk in eggwhites to scramble (30-40 seconds), then add seafood and simmer until just cooked (1-2 minutes). Add tapioca starch and stir until sauce thickly coats the back of a spoon (1-2 minutes). Keep warm.
- 3Heat oil in a wok over high heat until smoking. Add eggs and stir to scramble (1 minute), then add rice and stir-fry, breaking it up as you go, until hot (2-3 minutes). Add sugar, chicken stock powder and pepper, and stir to coat rice. Add XO sauce and spring onions, season to taste, transfer to a serving bowl, pour over Fujian sauce and serve.
Note Knorr chicken stock powder is available at Asian supermarkets. White soy sauce, also called shiro shoyu, is available from Japanese grocers such as Tokyo Mart and Chef's Armoury.
Drink Suggestion: A white Burgundy, such as a 2011 Domaine Louis Moreau Les Clos Grand Crus Chablis, or other rich chardonnay. Drink suggestion by Masa Nishimoto
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersEveryone's making sourdough; we're making focacciaYesterday 7:30am
- Fast RecipesSpiced yoghurt chicken with cardamom-coconut pilafYesterday 6:00am