“Classic English salad – fresh, with a little heat from the dressing. The G & T part is a play on traditional white-cut Chinese chicken, with a little Yorkshire twist.”
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- 1/3 cup (loosely packed) mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, seeds removed, diced
G & T drunken chicken
- 500 ml (2 cups) tonic water
- 200 ml gin
- 35 gm white sugar
- 30 gm (¼ cup) sea salt
- 3 juniper berries
- 1 star anise
- 1 cardamom pod, bruised
- 1 piece dried mandarin peel
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (about 200gm each)
English cream dressing
- 1 tbsp hot English mustard
- 1 tbsp chardonnay vinegar
- 110 ml pouring cream
- of caster sugar, Pinch
- 1For G & T drunken chicken, bring all ingredients except chicken to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken, simmer until just cooked (7-8 minutes). Cool chicken in poaching liquid in refrigerator (15-20 minutes). Remove from liquid, coarsely shred and set aside.
- 2For English cream dressing, whisk mustard and vinegar in a bowl to combine, add cream and whisk until soft peaks form (1-2 minutes). Season to taste with sea salt and sugar, refrigerate until required.
- 3Combine lettuce, mint, cucumber and chicken in a bowl, drizzle with a little dressing, toss lightly, and serve drizzled with extra dressing.
This recipe is from the February 2010 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: 2007 Toscolo Vernaccia di San Gimignano. Drink suggestion by Liam O'Brien
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersHow to make fresh pasta (it's easier than you think)Yesterday 3:00am