- 100 ml rainwater Madeira (see note)
- 100 ml Laird's Applejack apple brandy (see note)
- 50 ml Nikka Japanese whisky (see note)
- 50 ml Averna amaro (see note)
- 10 ml crème de violette (see note)
- Thinly peeled rind of 2 lemons
- 60 gm white sugar
- 35 ml rainwater Madeira
- 1For Madeira syrup, bring sugar and 20ml water to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, add Madeira and chill over an ice bath.
- 2Bring ingredients, except lemon rind, 50ml Madeira syrup and 125ml water to a simmer in a saucepan, then pour into a teapot. Twist a piece of rind over each of 8 teacups, dropping rind in, pour in cocktail and serve.
Rainwater Madeira is a lighter style of a Madeira; Achatz uses Blandy's. Laird's Applejack, Nikka Japanese whisky and crème de violette are all available from Dan Murphy's bottle shops. Averna amaro is a bitter Italian liqueur available from select bottle shops. If it's unavailable, substitute another amaro.