"Simple side dishes, like this quick-blanched bean dish with a lemony chimichurri, peppery radishes and a hit of texture from breadcrumbs, are key to bringing balance, acidity and a fresh approach to a meat-centric meal," says Stone.
- 600 gm mixed yellow and green beans, ends trimmed
- 4 radishes
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 80 gm baguette, crusts trimmed
- 20 gm butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 80 ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1 tsp finely chopped oregano
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp finely chopped sage
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 1For breadcrumbs, cut bread into 3mm dice. Heat butter and oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat until butter foams, then add bread and stir continuously until golden brown (4-5 minutes). Drain on paper towels, season to taste and set aside.
- 2For chimichurri, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Blanch beans until just tender (2-3 minutes), drain and refresh in iced water, then drain well. Thinly shave radishes on a mandolin and crisp in iced water until ready to serve.
- 4Toss beans with chimichurri in a bowl to coat. Taste and add more salt and lemon juice if necessary. Add breadcrumbs, toss to combine, then transfer to a serving platter. Drain radishes, scatter over beans, drizzle with oil, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve.