“At Berta we’ve been serving this sauce with char-grilled cos,” says Carey, “but it also works really well with asparagus.”
- 4 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 10 ml olive oil, for drizzling
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 50 ml white wine
- 100 gm parmesan, finely grated
- 1For parmesan cream, combine egg yolks, stock, wine, 20gm parmesan and a pinch of salt in a heatproof bowl, whisk to combine, then whisk continuously over a saucepan of simmering water until thick (8-10 minutes). Remove from heat, gradually stir in remaining parmesan, season to taste and stand in a warm place until required, whisking occasionally to prevent a skin forming.
- 2Preheat a char-grill pan over high heat until very hot. Drizzle asparagus with olive oil and season to taste, then grill in batches, turning occasionally, until just coloured (3-4 minutes). Arrange asparagus on a platter, spoon over parmesan cream, arrange anchovies on top and serve warm.
This recipe is from the November 2010 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Crisp white varietal such as a pecorino from Le Marche. Drink suggestion by Giorgio de Maria