"Beef heart can get a bit of a bad rap sometimes," says Devlin. "While it's considered offal, it should have a texture more similar to a nice tender cut of meat than a liver or kidney. If you can't get hold of it from your butcher, a portion of rump or even eye fillet will work. Blood orange is a great addition to this salad, but if they're out of season, use a regular orange instead."
- 700 gm beef heart
- 200 ml red wine
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp finely grated garlic
- 200 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 20 gm caster sugar
- 80 ml chardonnay vinegar (1/3 cup)
- 100 ml olive oil, plus extra for rubbing
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- 1 large head of radicchio, leaves separated
- 1 orange or blood orange, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 80 gm walnuts
- 1Heat a charcoal grill or gas barbecue to medium-high heat. Trim sinew and silver skin from the heart and halve crossways to create 2 large flat steaks. Combine in a non-reactive container with wine, thyme, garlic, half the orange juice and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Meanwhile, combine sugar, half the vinegar and remaining orange juice in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil until reduced to a glaze (5-6 minutes), then remove from heat and whisk in olive oil, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Drain the beef heart, pat dry with paper towels, rub with a little oil, then grill, turning every 2 minutes, until medium-rare and internal temperature reaches 55C on a meat thermometer (8-12 minutes). Rest meat for 5 minutes, then slice thinly across the grain.
- 4Meanwhile, combine fennel and remaining vinegar in a bowl, season to taste and set aside to lightly pickle. Grill radicchio until lightly browned on the edges (30 seconds) and arrange on a serving plate. Top with beef heart slices, scatter with pickled fennel, fennel fronds, blood orange slices and walnuts, season to taste, drizzle with orange dressing and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am