"Zhoug is a fiery relish from Yemen, which I learnt from Greg Malouf," says Hafner. "My version isn't quite as hot. I really enjoy this fragrant relish that goes with grilled poultry and seafood or can be blended with tomatoes as a dip with bread and labne."
- 750 gm calamari, cleaned, cut into 5cm pieces and scored
- For drizzling: extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons, or to taste
- 2 cups (loosely packed) coriander (about 1 bunch)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- Seeds from 4 cardamon pods
- 1 tsp each caraway seeds and black peppercorns
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1For zhoug, process ingredients in a blender, adding a small amount of water if necessary, until smooth and pouring consistency. Season to taste.
- 2Heat a char-grill or barbecue to high. Toss calamari in a little oil, then grill in batches until just cooked and charred (1-2 minutes). Toss in zhoug, add lemon juice and a dash of extra-virgin olive oil and serve hot or warm.
Drink Suggestion: A Portuguese vinho verde or Italian pinot grigio. Drink suggestion by James Broadway